“No one is perfect and striving to be superhuman only brings stress and disappointment. As the thought dissipates, so too do the pressure and stress I had put on myself.” Anonymous
I’ve no idea who wrote that but there’s a lot to be learned from it!
If you’ve been following me you will know that you are at a cross roads. Answer the following questions and see what you have been telling and discussing with your inner self. Have you been feeding it loneliness, anger, self-loathing or have you been telling it about your dreams and desires, your wishes and hopes for the future? This is your cross roads.
Below find 10 questions to ask yourself. They are for you to consider. Get a piece of paper, a blue pen, and a favourite beverage. Turn the television off and answer the questions.
- How healthy is your diet?
- What do you consider a healthy diet?
- When was the last time you created and cooked a meal for your family?
- When was the last time you had an evening without watching TV?
- When was the last time you did something spontaneous with the children/friend?
- Does your job run your life?
- When did you last do something just for fun?
- Why are you angry?
- What is your greatest fear?
- What does money mean to you?
- What does the word loneliness mean to you?
- What career did you dream of as youngster?
- Where is you perfect home?
- What is my greatest desire right now?
- Can you identify a pattern in your answers?
When you have done this once, reflect on the answers. Are they truly your answers or are they the answers you feel you should have put in? If you are not sure go and get a black pen and answer the questions as honestly as you can. These questions are about your inner feelings; the answers are not that important at the moment, your honesty to yourself is.
You now know where you stand. If you have taken the test and think there is no hope then please think again. Who, if anyone, can ever be truly totally satisfied? There is no perfect answer because if there were and we reached it, then what we would aspire too? Where would our hopes and dreams go? No, there is no correct answer to the questions; we have just looked at where we are today and where we aspire to be in our future. We need a starting point and that is the sole purpose of the questions. This was not a quiz with right or wrong answers. There was not a prize at the end of the quiz. It is not an end but a beginning.
The only person who needs to know the answer to the questions is YOU. What did you discover about your present self? It’s good to remember that this is a journey. There is no shortcut. It is a life changing journey and this is just the start.
That’s enough for today. You’ve come face to face with your inner self and that can’t have been easy. Remember, this is just the beginning of your journey and understanding your inner self can point you down the right road when you are standing at the crossroads.